How Do I File a Claim for Electrical Injury Compensation?

If you or someone you love has been electrocuted or hurt in some other way through electricity, you may be able to file an electric shock compensation claim from workers’ compensation benefits for pain and suffering and/or damages for wrongful death, depending on the laws in your state.

Electric shock accidents can range from people getting small electric shocks to being electrocuted, which is a life-threatening injury. Electrical currents don’t cause accidents or injuries to people very often, which is a good thing.

People who work closely with electricity have a much higher chance of getting hurt or hurting someone else. It is very important that employers and contractors protect workers from electrocution, which could kill them.

All employers are required by law to keep their workers safe, and they should never cut corners in situations or places where there is a chance of getting an electric shock.

Can I sue if I get electrocuted at work?

Whether or not you can file a lawsuit after getting an electric shock at work or being electrocuted at work depends on a lot of different things. These factors include: 

(1) the laws in your state

(2) whether you were an employee or an independent contractor

(3) the liability of possible third parties and contractors whose carelessness caused your electric shock injury.

Can I sue for an electric shock injury?

If you were hurt through electric shock or a loved one died because they were electrocuted, you may be able to file a lawsuit. A personal injury lawyer can help you according to the severity of the case. Your state’s laws, your injuries, your medical bills, and whether the injury happened at work will all affect how much compensation and damages you can get.

Damages that are usually awarded for personal injuries

When someone gets hurt at work or in everyday life, they can file a claim for damages to get paid for their injuries. Most of the time, these include pain and suffering, medical costs, a drop in quality of life, and a loss of income while the person is getting better. In rare cases, the judge will also give the victim punitive damages to punish the other party for causing a serious injury or being very careless. To add these up, you might need a lawyer who knows how to figure out the range of damages based on the special modifiers or variables.

Burns and damage from electricity

Burns caused by electrical damage like fires and scalding skin need different care. This treatment can cost more or less depending on how bad the burn is and where it is on the body. Electrical damage can also cause internal harm and scarring that can be seen. When all of these things happen at once, the person may need a long time in the hospital to heal. Over time, these bills can add up, and if the victim wants to get paid for them, he or she may have to add the severity of the injury to the pain and suffering.

Medical care at present and in the future 

Once the bills for the person’s current care are in hand, it’s time to figure out how much care they will need in the future. This is another part of the standard medical costs for the damage, but it may require more thought and putting together information about how the injuries were diagnosed and how they should be treated. After an electrical shock hurts the body, this damage may also include current and future therapy such as physical therapy to walk, use the hands, or relearn how to use different parts of the body. This often makes people want a lot more money.

Loss of income

Usually, the person won’t be able to make money while he or she is getting better from the damage done. This person can’t work in most fields because of the time they spend in the hospital, in therapy, or getting treatment. Because of this, a lot of chances to make money are lost. This damage is important to the worker who is suing to cover other damages that aren’t covered by workers’ compensation. Workers’ compensation claims can help some people get back a lot of the money they lost, but the money still doesn’t make up for all the other bills that keep coming in.

General damages

The victim can get more than just the usual compensation for medical bills and lost income. The person can get care compensation to make up for the loss of quality of life. This can include  hired help and services and transportation These are both general and specific, depending on the state and the rules for general compensation in that state. During the recovery period, if the person can’t drive his or her own car, there may be travel costs for ongoing therapy, trips to the hospital or doctor, and other trips.

Pain and struggle

For many, the pain and suffering is the most important part of damages. This usually has a modifier of one to five, depending on how bad the injury is and how long the person will be in treatment or how long it takes to heal. Some people feel a lot of pain, while others only feel a little bit. Most of the time, an electric shock burns or hurts the body internally, which can be painful and stay painful. The more damage this does to the body, the more likely it is that this damage will get worse with a greater modifier. Most of the time, you can’t get this kind of payment through workers’ compensation. You have to file a lawsuit instead.

Help for electric shock injury from the law

When someone gets an electric shock, they usually need a lawyer to file a lawsuit against the entity, which caused it. The lawyer will have to look into the case, gather evidence, and talk to people who saw what happened. This can take a while, and the lawyer will have to talk to any insurance companies that are involved.


When someone gets an electric shock at work or while doing work for the company, they can file a workers’ compensation claim to get the money they need to get better. Even though this doesn’t cover pain and suffering, the claim does cover lost income, medical care, and benefits for the person’s family after their death. When someone gets a serious electric shock at work, this is usually the first step in getting legal help. Both the employee and the company need to fill out and take certain steps for the claim. If a person gets a letter saying “no,” they usually need help from a lawyer.